Travelers Aid Birmingham

A Helping Hand Along The Way

Travelers Aid and Senior Ride announce the kickoff of its first Community Corporate Fundraising Campaign

Established in 1907, Travelers Aid of Greater Birmingham is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, a founding member of Travelers Aid International, and a United Way of Central Alabama partner agency. While better known for serving the “traveling public”, Travelers Aid also has an important role in Birmingham’s transportation network as a provider of free medical transportation for low-income elderly and disabled adults.

“Community financial support plays an essential role in our overall funding process for the coming year. Corporate sponsorships will enable needed healthcare rides for a most underserved population of low-income elderly people and those with disabilities in the Greater Birmingham area,” said Liz Carey, Chair of the Fundraising Committee for Travelers Aid.

In 2019, before the pandemic, Senior Ride served 923 individuals, processed 396 new applications for ride service, and sponsored over 13,000 free rides. As of March 2021, the Senior Ride database has over 2,500 people certified to utilize its services.

“Travelers Aid has a long history serving the Greater Birmingham area. Hospitals, health systems, social agencies, and faith-based organizations trust this program and organization to assist their patients who typically have no means of reliable transportation to needed healthcare appointments,” explained Carey.

“The problem is that Travelers Aid and Senior Ride are only well-known to these essential service providers, and the United Way as a partner agency, but not so much to the general public or companies that would welcome an invitation to support what Travelers Aid and Senior Ride provide. Reliable transportation to critical healthcare services is just one of the challenges of aging in place and aging in place with disabilities,” Carey continued. “Travelers Aid and Senior Ride solve a very real and now growing problem in our community.”

This—the organization’s first-ever Community Corporate Fundraising Campaign—offers three levels of financial support—$500, $1,500, and $2,500. A federal grant reimburses 80% of all eligible ride costs with the other 20% coming from community funds.  Businesses throughout the greater Birmingham area are asked to consider supporting Senior Ride and assist us with our community support match. For the company’s contribution, Travelers Aid will advertise support through our website, social media, and other communications.